The New Year is here and most of us are thinking about resolutions and changes. We want to feel better, look better and maybe even do better this year. Studies show that in order to make a resolution stick, we need to start small with changes that we think we can keep. Instead of just pledging to go to bed earlier this year, let’s try these tips for a better year not only for ourselves but the planet!
- Bring your own shopping bags! Plastic bags are at the top of the litter list. Billions of these bags are littering our forests, oceans and they are killing millions of ocean life and birds every year.
- Ditch the flimsy plastic produce bags and start using reusable produce bags at the supermarket. We’ve talked to grocery store owners who say they go through more than 10,000 of those produce bags a week! Those bags are not recyclable and end in the landfills or oceans doing damage.
- Get the chemicals out of your cosmetics! Use cosmetics and personal care products that are made with natural ingredients and come in less plastic packaging.
- Bring your own water bottle! It’s estimated that 1 million plastic water bottles are purchased every minute. Don’t leave home without that reusable bottle.
- Bring your own reusable containers and buy bulk! There are some really cool zero waste stores popping up in our towns and cities. Even Bulk Barn has a reusable container program! Just bring your containers or bulk bags, they will weigh them before you fill them, and that weight will be deducted at the cash when purchasing your goods. This type of grocery shopping really is a game changer when it comes to reducing plastic waste in the home.
Start by changing one behaviour at a time and don’t beat yourself up if you slip up! Talk to your family and friends about what changes you are making and what your experience has been. Studies show that sharing your experience with others is also helpful when it comes to turning the resolution into a habit!